Knitting E-scape

Sunday, March 04, 2007

Thrummed Mittens

















Stats:
Pattern: Interweave Knits Winter 2006
Yarn: Harrisville Designs (picked up at Yarn Expo for $4/hank!) 100% Wool
Needles: Size 4.00 and 4.50mm Addi Bamboo (Love them!)
Roving: Unidentified Falklands wool picked up at Yarn Expo. A Ziploc bag full. Pre-dyed in purples/red/dark blue.

What I learned and would change: I would add a few rows between the ribbing and the thumb pick up. My thumb pick up is messy. I'd fix that. (No, I don't like to rip and frog--it's reeeeaaaalllllyyy cold here, and I need to wear these!). Using the roving was interesting, a bit tedious, but feels wonderful on the inside. I'd actually like more of this softness inside....




The thumb is different than the usual mitten thumb. There is no gusset, rather, you knit in some waste yarn, then pick up and knit these live stitches later. Designed this way to maintain the thrumming pattern. I like this, but need to adjust. Maybe I need an extra stitch or two to make the thumb larger and reduce the stress "gaps" at the picked up stitches.

Today was actually warmer (about 20 F) and the sun is significantly warmer plus the days are longer. Love it. I was at a quilt shop this afternoon for the 2nd of two classes using "Buggy Barn" patterns. It was great fun. Quilt pictures forthcoming...


1 Comments:

  • Those are purty, and warm looking too. I know I'm very thankful for my handknit mittens, otherwise my little fingers would be suffering on those cold days, and we've had plenty. Although you have had more.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 12:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home