Knitting E-scape

Monday, August 14, 2006

Felting: Episode One "The Experiment"

In the last post, I mentioned making a felted hat. So I experimented with some very old inherited "Red Heart" 100% wool yarn. (This yarn belonged to my MIL who had great stashes of yarn and fabric which were culled as she downsized into assisted living.) This yarn is so old that the label gives no hint as to how it will behave. I was tripped up a bit by the words "washable colors". I wasn't sure if that meant "superwash" or "colorfast" or what. I think the yarn is old enough that it preceeded the days of superwash wool, though. But I didn't want to spend the time knitting something intended for felting that wouldn't felt. BTW, the 2 skeins were packaged in a plastic bag--original second-hand store packaging which had not been opened--and marked $2. I imagine it was purchased on a 50% off sale day, though. Nice.
So I knit a swatch.
Then the experiment began.
Ingredients included a bowl, very hot water, a potato masher and rubber gloves.
Nice. The swatch felted beautifully.
I can't find my camera, but the experiment was successful enough to cast on for the hat....
To be continued.

4 Comments:

  • Barbara....I'm so glad you're back in blogland!!! Let's see some pics of your experiment. I love to felt bags. I just bought a great bag pattern and I'm thinking about starting it soon.
    Your Secret Pal

    By Blogger cindy, At 2:38 PM  

  • Oh yes!,Show us how it turns out,I haven't tried felting yet!!!

    By Blogger My Five Sons, At 4:24 AM  

  • Barbara said:

    "Ingredients included a bowl, very hot water, a potato masher and rubber gloves."

    I KNOW THE SECRET NOW!

    By Blogger Package Ninja, At 10:51 AM  

  • I just wrote the longest comment and it didn't post because I had to sign into google-got redirected-lost the message. Talk about frusterating.

    Thanks for checking out my blog. I am happy to answer your question regarding the handles but I don't have your email address.

    If you want to email me directly I would be more than happy to give you a long email. That way you don't have to have it on here with your comments.

    Marly
    http://www.knitthing.blogspot.com
    http://knitthing.mypodcast.com

    By Blogger YarnThing, At 1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home