Knitting E-scape

Saturday, July 16, 2005

Sock Pictures and decisions


Sock two: down the instep
Here's the second sock. Here's the story: I came to a decision a week ago that I haven't written about yet. In my last sock post I was contemplating frogging sock #1 (below). During "knit night" last week, I had the chance to have a very experienced (and calm) knitter look at the socks and comment on them. Actually, I brought the socks hoping she would kindly frog them for me (I was feeling fragile). She offered me chocolate and a listening ear. Wow. She had vast experience with "handpaints" and gave me a hefty dose of reality and reason. She made statements referring to "the beauty of handpainted yarns" and that they often do what they *want to*. She actually liked the sock I wanted to frog better than the one I was ok with. It's good to get another perspective. Soooo I decided to proceed and skip the re-do. These socks are just so different from what I imagined, and in an odd way they are "growing on me". I would wear them, so if my sockapal-2-za pal doesn't like them, I hope she will be kind enough to send them back! As soon as these are finished, I will start a pair that are more "tame", something that can do a stand in act in case these don't end up being loved.

I'm working down the instep on this one, and almost finished the heel flap on the other sock (below). So relaxing, and since I am easily amused, I enjoy seeing how the colors decide to place themselves as I knit. A more intelligent knitter would be bored, as the colors are quite predictable. And the pooling: wow, it's *interesting* to watch a yellow stripe develop and wind its way around the sock. Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock in rainbow on US #1s.

4 Comments:

  • I just got my first Lorna's and i see why you love it so much. Love that colorway by the way. =0)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 8:16 PM  

  • Hooray, a happy ending! :) I love getting the story one screen at a time,thanks to bloglines. :)

    By Blogger Andrea, At 8:23 PM  

  • I think they're gorgeous and I'm glad you didn't frog them.

    By Blogger Kat, At 7:29 AM  

  • I think they're lovely :) Thanks for laughing with me at the antique sock blockers/photo albums - and dang, but no I have not been matched with you. I most certainly would be pleased to be your pal though! Sara
    www.glbt-knit.com/saras

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home