Knitting E-scape

Thursday, June 30, 2005

Misc Stuff, Knitting and what-not

Not much knitting time with working and life "stuff". Pictures *later* of "the socks". I don't know whether or not to be distressed about "the socks". I began the 2nd sock, and not only is it a "fraternal twin" but maybe not a twin at all; more like a 2nd cousin. I would not have guessed that the same yarn would have knitted up so differently, based on where it was started, I guess...Hmmm...wondering what others do, and if it is a serious problem. Do I frog and try again? How can a person calculate where to begin with the matching sock? And in my haste to start the 2nd sock, I accidentally snipped the yarn and now I am at the knot that DH tied before we wound the yarn...now I need to graft the yarn together *or something like that*: don't want a knot in a sock, for crying out loud!
News in the Great Land includes rampant wild fires. 'Tis the season. Woke up Tuesday night at 1am to a pungent burning smell: the winds had shifted and smoke from the Kenai peninsula fires had drifted into my bedroom. Ugh. Batten the hatches and sweat.
Tomorrow night is my Friday night quilting session. Not sure what I'll work on. It's been a draining work week and my energy level is low. But these sessions provide "motivation" to finish projects and a fun time with other quilters... Pictures? I promise more later in the weekend. Stay tuned!

3 Comments:

  • Good luck with the socks. sorry to hear about your frustrations! Have a great holiday weekend! You too Janet! =0)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 9:27 PM  

  • So, you finished the first sock and now have started the second with a second hank? Did the hanks look the same before you wound them? You might frog the second one and see if you can't start at the same spot in the color progression as you did with the first one. Adjusting your gauge a little may help it pool more similarly to the first one.

    Best of luck with the socks!

    By Blogger alison, At 11:22 AM  

  • I don't know if it's possible to get LL's to match perfectly. I just don't think their dye jobs are even that precise. I think that's part of the charm, really. I had two skeins from the same dye lot, and I thought the intersections between the colors produced different shades in the two skeins even. I wouldn't worry about it -- fraternal twins are okay!

    If you want to see how my LL's socks turned out, they're here: http://homepage.mac.com/aeberinger/Knitting/PhotoAlbum34.html Comparing row by row, they don't match, but I think overall they match well enough! :)

    By Blogger Andrea, At 8:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home